My old age is closing in on me… 22 has been a hard adjustment. I am doing my best to start good habits now because habits formed in the early 20’s tend to last through adulthood. One good habit I would like to have is exercising on a regular basis.
I can think of plenty of excuses not to exercise, but with these few tips lack-of-funds does not need to be one of them.
- Check out free Podcasts. My favorite is the C25K. I am trying really really hard to be a runner, although at this point I am incapable of running 30 minutes without stopping. This free podcast is set to music and tells me when to run and when to recover. I am in week four now and have worked my way up to 5-minute runs. I am very happy with this!
- Watch fitness videos instantly on Netflix. Fitness videos have the potential to get boring fast. Do not spend money on a video that you will hate in a month- just download one from Netflix. My favorite in the instant queue right now is Baron Baptiste’s Long and Lean Yoga. This is a very challenging isometric workout that leaves me pleasantly sore the next day.
- Download free workouts from Women’s Health. I received a gift subscription to this magazine but you can access most of the information online. One feature I like is the videos of the workouts so I don’t look like the nerd that I am when I go to the gym. I enjoy the No Equipment Workout because, obviously, it requires no equipment.
- If you must go to a gym… look for a cheap or free membership. Some gyms give you free membership for working a set amount of hours at their child-care center. My apartment offers a free membership, as does my college. Do not feel obligated to buy a full year if you will not use it. The community center at home offers winter-only passes to the indoor track, for example.
- Reward yourself for reaching your goals. Do not dive right in and spend $200 on P90X and all new workout clothes. Instead, workout with free videos in your crappy high school t-shirts. A goal may be: “I will do a 30-min exercise video three times each week for 12 weeks before I purchase the P90X system.” My current goal is “I will do my C25K podcast three days each week until I can run a full 30 minutes.” My reward is new running shoes and a Nike+ sensor. There is no use buying expensive running gear when I cannot even run yet.
I will stick to my five favorites and let you fill in some extras.
What is your favorite thrifty fitness tip?