When I was little and would say I “loved” anything, Mom would scold me and say that you can’t love things. Love is for people and maybe for pets.
So I can’t say I love things. But the more I don’t buy anything new (because of the Compact) the more I get attached to what I do have. I think this is a good thing. I take better care of my things and feel like everything I have is my “favorite.” It’s very comfortable. In fact, I’m about to finish an entire notebook worth of paper, which I have never done before. Every page is written on, front and back. This is an EVENT!
If I were to love things, and I made a list of them, my list would go something like this:
- Law and Order: SVU
- Netflix, for which to watch Law and Order: SVU, among other things.
- My Birkenstock clogs
- My sewing machine
- My Crock Pot, which makes split pea soup quick and easy
- Addi Turbo circular knitting needles
- My Panera Bread travel mug from Molly
- My yarn-ball winder because it makes super-quick work out of DESTROYING old sweaters
- The scarf that Spencer made for me although if anyone asks he will tell you that he does not know how to knit. He is lying.
- My Gap straight-leg jeans that I bought (full price! :S) last year instead of going on Spring break, and that I still wear about three times a week.
- My coffee table that I bought for $10 at St. Vincent’s because I thought it was vintage and awesome; come to find out it’s a pretty valuable antique. Whatever, I’m not selling!
- My big red gingham chair. When my brother was little he used to say his favorite color was “camouflage.” I am therefore justified, according to kindergarten logic, to say that my favorite color is “gingham.”
- My wooden spoons. Who needs a hand mixer?
- My backpack that Mom bought me as a sophomore (in high school) that I still carry every day.
- My coffee maker that saves me buckets of money a month
But remember what Mom says, you can’t love stuff!
I just like it very much.
And it’s wonderful to know that I could live without all of it, and still have a full life because of all of the wonderful people I’m surrounded by.
Happy Valentine’s Day, People!
You May Also Enjoy: