Pressure Cooker 365 Recipe #49: Spicy Soda Pop Pork Ribs
On November 17, 2012 I married the love of my life and met a new love: My pressure cooker!
To spread the love I’m using my pressure cooker every day and sharing the recipes on my blog.
The cupboard cleaning adventure continues. Today I used up the boneless pork ribs (thawed for Friday’s meal), miscellaneous packages of frozen vegetables, and flat Diet Coke.
I have read obscure recipes that call for soda to cook roasts or make cake, so it seemed like an appropriate addition. Most Korean rib recipes I looked at called for brown sugar which is sweet… just like Coke, right?
It was a good gamble. If I made these again (365 days from now) I might even buy soda to make them!
Spicy Soda Pop Pork Ribs
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch chunk ginger root, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb boneless pork ribs cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 T each: Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and dried cilantro leaves
- 1 t each: Salt and pepper
- 1/2 t cayenne pepper
- 2 C cola
- 2 T cornstarch
- Heat oil over medium heat in pressure cooker with lid off.
- Cook garlic, ginger, and onion until fragrant.
- Add pork ribs. Brown on all sides.
- Pour in remaining ingredients. Add water or broth if the cola does not just cover the ribs.
- Lock lid in place and cook at full pressure for 15 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Remove lid from pressure cooker. Dissolve the cornstarch in a bit of cold water. Stir in to the sauce. Simmer until sauce is thickened.
- Serve with rice and steamed vegetables.