One great thrifty tip to save money on your grocery bill is to cut back on your meat consumption. Consuming less meat also has a positive impact on your health and the environment. One initiative dedicated to encouraging people to eat less meat is Meatless Mondays whose goal is to
“Help reduce meat consumption by 15% in order to improve personal health and the health of the planet.”
I do meatless Mondays. And Tuesdays, and Wednesdays, and Thursdays… I am not quite a vegetarian, but meat is not my favorite food group. Spencer… not so much. But he does go meatless on Fridays!
Because Spencer is Catholic he chooses not eat meat on Fridays during Lent. Yesterday, instead of meat, Spencer ate…
Whole wheat pancakes with apple syrup, and
I included the links to the recipes that I used, with a few modifications.
- I did not use baking soda in the pancakes and used more baking powder instead
- Apple syrup is just chopped apples cooked in a lot of butter with apple pie spices (cinnamon, allspice, etc
- For the soup I substituted powdered ginger for fresh and milk for cream and skipped the cilantro
- I used half whole wheat flour and half unbleached for the bread bowls
So yes, Spencer went meatless on Friday. But I do not think sacrificed much.
You May Also Enjoy:
- Gingered Carrot and Cilantro Soup Made the Kayla K (and Jo) Way
- Soy Flour as Egg Substitute in Baking
- 10 Ways to be Wallet and Waistline Friendly