Completed Projects 2011: Vintage Triangles
I was very impressed with Red Pepper Quilt’s HST Overload quilt. The scrappy look was very pleasing and I liked the chopped-off corners. I decided to try something similar with my vintage sheet collection.
I went into my vintage sheet collection and ripped off strips of each. I trimmed the strips down to 4″ squares, two from each print.
I pared the prints into contrasting values. I drew a diagonal line down the center of each pair of squares and stitched 1/4″ from the line on either side. Cutting down the line gave me two matching half-square triangles.
I pressed the squares open and trimmed to 3 1/2″.
The matching squares were organized into 4-patches and assembled into a quilt top with the blocks set on the diagonal.
I basted the top with low-loft batting and vintage curtain for the back.
I straight-line quilted on the diagonal, 1/2″ on either side of the diagonal seams.
Bound with a pink Kona using this online tutorial, which I highly recommend.
The finished quilt size is 44″ square.
What I Learned
I am pleased with the overall quilt, but it could have been done more efficiently. I spent too much time snipping and trimming.
I didn’t get the hang of the goofy corners until I finished 6 of them. I will try the chopped-off corners again sometime now that I can do it well.
In the Future
Straight line quilting is here to stay!
From now on I will use my half-square triangle ruler to efficiently cut triangles from strips. I will save my diagonal-draw-the-line method for scrappy squares.