A Cheap and Simple Slow Cooker Meal
With Spencer away at his stag party I knew Chinese take-out would be tempting. So earlier today I started a slow-cooker meal to enjoy right.. about… now.
In my little slow cooker, a Christmas gift from my little sister, I put:
- 1 C brown rice, purchased in a 25-lb bag at $35,
- Mixed with some olive oil,
- 1 C frozen corn, stocked up at $.89 for 1 lb,
- 1 can diced tomatoes, $.65,
- 1 can Hoppin’ John, $.35 from the dented can grocery store,
- 2 cups water,
- and some Cajun seasoning.
I cooked on “high” for 5 hours. I added a handful of shredded cheddar cheese, stocked up at $1.50 for 8 0z.
This meal was cheap and simple, but just as good Chinese takeout. My tummy and tastebuds are happy and I kept $15 in my pocket.